HAIR TISSUE MINERAL ANALYSIS OR HTMA
HTMA or Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis is a scientific test, which measures the mineral contents of one’s hair. A small sample of hair from the scalp is taken and sent to a licensed laboratory for analysis.
Highly sophisticated equipment at the laboratory accurately identifies and measures the amount of minerals and other substances in the hair.
Hair is the second most metabolically active tissue in the body. By the very nature of its formation, it is a useful biological sample that provides a permanent record of metabolic activities occurring within the body during its period of growth. The first inch and one-half of hair closest to the scalp (occipital region) can give a good indication of the nutrient and toxic metal exposure over the previous six to eight weeks. A mineral deficiency or excess revealed in the hair test can indicate a possible deficiency, excess, or bio-unavailability of that mineral within the body.
Tissue mineral analysis is a good indicator of the metabolic processes occurring within the cells (intracellular)
Investigators in Japan, Germany, Sweden, Canada, and the United States have shown that concentrations of elements in the hair provide an accurate and permanent record. A close correlation was noted between trace element levels in the hair and internal organs.
What the HTMA can tell you:
- Exposure to and accumulation of Toxic Elements
- Nutritional mineral deficiency or excess
- Nutritional balance or imbalances
- Toxic/Nutrient ratios
- Thyroid function
- Adrenal function
- Behavioral Tendencies
- Emotional Tendencies
- Possible physical symptoms you may experience
- Possible causes of toxic element exposure or accumulation
- Possible causes of nutritional deficiencies or excesses
- Suggestions on foods to avoid until next evaluation
- Suggestions on foods to increase intake until next evaluation
- Food allergies, if any
- Disease trends (in Doctor’s report)
- Recommendation of nutritional supplements according to hair analysis profile